Home‎ > ‎History‎ > ‎

Timeline

Years in the timeline

1995

During May the church tower roof was repaired, the belfry walls repointed and a lightning conductor installed on the tower.


1992


English Heritage made a grant offer for repairing and releading the church tower roof and repairing the nave walls.


1991


The north pinnacle fell off the church tower. Door was padlocked and fence put up around the tower.


1990


Church repairs to east elevation of tower, nave roof, gutters and down pipes.


1987


Church quinquinennial inspection reported that

Roof - nave strip and reslate required
Tower- roof had completely dissapeared
Walls - cracks in SE corner of nave needed repairing
Floors - nave pews have gone, pamment remain and most of the chancel tiles missing
Windows - broken - boarding recommended
Furniture - only the font remains

 

1983


Vandalism at the church - damage to windows, doors and furniture


1981


Repairs to church nave east parapet and porch roof were carried out


1977


Proposal for a declaration of redundancy of the church under the Pastoral measure 1968. Several local people felt that the church should not be made redundant.

Neil Birdsall appointed architect for the church. Quinquennial report (referred to as the first) reported;:

Roofs - suffering from water ingress
Walls - covered in ivy, some fallen stonework and dislodged NW tower pinnacle
Tower - attempts to steal lead evident
Floors - chancel floor tiles partially removed
Windows - almost all damaged
Furnishings - al present apart from the organ

 

1976


Suggestions for alternative uses for the church were considered as it seemed that it was "no longer needed by the parish"

A specification was prepared for the converting the chancel to a chapel of Ease and removing the roof and furnishings from the nave leaving it as a ruin.


1960


Royal Observer Corps post built on the high ground about one mile north-east of the village. It was part of a network of such posts across the United Kingdom built to monitor the country in the event of a Nuclear, Chemical or Biological attack from the Eastern Block during the cold war.

It consisted of

 concrete underground accommodation for approx 4 persons 
 concrete observer post approx 4 metres high 
 telephone line connections run underground across fields to the national network 

During the 1980s it was dismantled


1864


Date on shield in the eastern parapet of the tower - relating to a fairly drastic restoration? Double stepped parapets and pinnacles installed. Church font probably installed at the same time.


1501


Money left for the building of the church tower


1315

Approximate date of nave windows in church (actual fabric probably much earlier)


Mediaeval period

Runham parish was much larger than today - covering an area reaching nearly Gt Yarmouth - today there exists an area called Runham Vauxhall near the railway station.